Chania, a colorful mix of gastronomy and history
Culture, rich Greek nature, unforgettable experiences and amazing food. What else can you ask for? Discover this all-year-round destination by booking online cheap ferry tickets to Chania through Let’s Ferry for all the available routes.
The colourful chora in the city of Chania
Top attractions in Chania
Castles, gorges, mosques; Chania is a port city that has many stories to share with its visitors.
• Stroll around the Old City. Splantzia Square, the area of Koum Kapi and the old Venetian port with the emblematic lighthouse, create a multicultural mosaic. If you are a museum lover, pay a visit to the Naval Museum, the Archaeological Museum and the Folklore. They are located very close to each other. In the cosmopolitan area of Chalepa, you will find the Tombs of Venizelos. It’s the place where Eleftherios Venizelos and his son Sophocles are buried, both historic politicians and Prime Ministers of Greece.
• Visit the Venetian Frangokastello Fortress in the district of Sfakia.The legendary phenomenon of Drossoulites are shadows than can be seen from the end of May until the first days of June, for only a few minutes after sunrise. Locals believe that these shadows are the ghosts of unburied warriors.
• Walk through the Samaria Gorge, the longest in Europe, starting from Omalos Mountain and ending in a Lybian Sea shore. Many rare species of flora and fauna can be found on the gorge as well as remains from ancient cities.
Fragokastello is an important monument near Chania city
Are you interested in a winter getaway? Plan a climbing trip to Lefka Ori (White Mountains) and travel cheap with low cost ferry tickets to Chania through Let’s Ferry.
Chania lighthouse is an all time classic monument
Top activities in Chania
Vacations are never enough in Chania. Some people come for a short trip and end up spending their whole life here. Close by tropical beaches, swimming in islets and reachable sea lakes, make everyday life much more stress-free and idyllic.
• Swim at the photogenic waters of Balos. Take a boat to visit the islet of Gramvousa with its prominent castle.
• Underwater fishing and swimming next to caretta – caretta sea turtles. Try it in the one of a kind Elafonisi beach with the pink powder sand that takes its color from the broken shells and the coral reefs.
• Ride a water bike at Kournas Lake or rent a kayak and dive to discover the rich underwater life with goldfish, water turtles and eels. If you want a land-based adventure, visit the Kournas Cave.
Underwater fishing in Chania
Tip: Locals would never let you leave Crete without tasting raki (a strong alcoholic beverage served in shots), staka (spread cheese) and kaltsounia (local dessert). Chania’s specialty though, is the Cretan version of famous bougatsa, a breakfast pastry filled with with local mizithra cheese, sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon. Indulge in the Cretan cooking and book cheap ferry tickets to Chania through Let’s Ferry. Pick them up at home or at the port.
Information about the port of Chania
Chania is connected to Piraeus by ferries. The city is also connected daily to Heraklio, Rethymno and Agios Nikolaos and several islands at the Cyclades and the Dodecanese via Heraklio.