Gythio, take me to the shallow waters
This beautiful port in Lakonia is a laid-back town with sandy beaches and neoclassical edifices. Discover the gem of Mani with the feel of an island and book cheap ferry tickets to Gythio through Let’s Ferry.
• Cranae is a small island full of pine trees that is connected to the land by a causeway. According to a local myth, this right here was the love nest that hosted the affair between Paris and Helen of Troy. The island is also home to the Lighthouse of Gythio with an octagonal shape and an impressive height of 23 meters.
• Tzanetakis Tower, also on Cranae, was built almost 2 centuries ago. The Historical and Ethnological Museumis located here, featuring traditional exhibits from Mani.
• The Ancient Theatre can be found at the ancient town of Gythio, as well as the Acropolis and remains from the Romanian era.
• Sandy Mavrovouni has been awarded with a Blue Flag.
• At Selinitsi, Evrotas river meets with the sea. Enjoy swimming in the shallow, clear waters.
• Vathy is an endless organized spot, ideal for spending a day at the beach whenever you wish to steer away from big crowds.
• Instagram heaven is to be found at Shipwreck Dimitrios beach. Even caretta caretta turtles often visit this place to lay their eggs.
• Mani isn’t just about stone walls and houses. It has many tropical landscapes and the beach of Agia Varvara is biggest proof.
What to do in Gythio
• Gythio has many rocky mountains where you can go trekking or climbing.
• Explore Diros Caves, a 40-minute drive from Gythio, a perfect getaway excursion on a hot day.
• Discover Monemvasia, a castle town 75 km away from the port.
Τip: You can drive or take a local KTEL bus from Athens, Kalamata or Sparti. Driving from Athens takes about 3 hours, and it’s a 1.5 hour-drive from Kalamata and a 40-minute one from Sparti.
Plan your trip by booking cheap ferry tickets through Let’s Ferry.