Nisyros, the most explosive island
Nisyros is not a typical Dodecanese island. It has always attracted global scientific interest because of its active volcano. Seen from above, it looks like a tiny dot floating between Kos and Tilos. If you want a relaxing break in a place untouched by tourism book cheap ferry tickets to Nisyros through Let’s Ferry.
The most explosive attractions
• The most recent eruption of the volcano was in 1888 but it is still considered active. Stephanos, little Stephanos, Polyvotis and Logothetis are Greek names but they are given to craters and not to people here!
• Mandraki is the main port and capital of the island where you will find many cafes. Rest under a plane tree’s shadow in Ilikiomeni (Old lady) Square. On a rocky hill you will see Paleokastro, the ancient acropolis, a fortress made of volcanic rocks. From there, the view to caldera is just stunning!
• Enjoy a day at the museums of Nisyros: Visit the Folklore, the Ecclesiastical and the Archaeological and the unique Volcanological Museum.
• Go to the Church of Panagia Spiliani (Virgin Mary of the Caves) which is partly built in a cave. To admire the miraculous image of Virgin Mary on the inside, you must first climb 130 steps.
• Don’t miss the medieval Castle of Pantoniki and the byzantine Church of Taxiarchis of Emporios. The main attraction is the natural sauna surrounded by a cave at the entrance of the village.
The volcanic craters in Nisyros island
Make your booking fast and easy with cheap ferry tickets to Nisyros through letsferry.com. Pick them up at home or at the port.
A blue water beach in Nisyros island
The most explosive activities
• Hike through 10 different trails to discover the wild nature of Nisyros.
• Spoil yourself: spend a day at the thermal springs at Loutra and Thermiani (open from June to October).
• Rent a boat to visit the islet of Gyali, also known as «the pumice-stone island». Ask the owner to take you to the beach of Kaloutsi with the profound turquoise waters.
• Although Nisyros is an island with few beaches, it has a special charm. Swimming at Gialiskari with the dark colored sand and at secluded beaches of Lies, Hohlakoi and Pahia Ammos, is an unforgettable experience!
Nisyros has a beautiful view in Caldera
Tip: For moving around the island, you can use public buses, taxis and motorbikes. The island is directly connected to Piraeus and most of Dodecanese and Cycladic islands. Visit this volcanic island with cheap ferry tickets to Nisyros at Let’s Ferry.
Information about the port of Nisyros
Passenger routes connect Nisyros with Piraeus as well as Kos, Kalymnos, Rhodes and other islands in the Dodecanese.