Porto Santo Stefano, the port of Tuscany
The Porto Santo Stefano is the capital of the municipality of Monte Argentario. It’s located in the western side of Tuscany, in the Province of Grosseto. It’s connected to the Italian mainland through 3 narrow strips of land. The city charmed the famous Italian star Rafaella Carra who owned a summer mansion in the area. After she passed away in 2021, it was her wish that some of her ashes be scattered here.
The port can be really busy in the summer and there are frequent ferry services every day. Book ferry tickets to Porto Santo Stefano through Let’s Ferry.
Attractions in Porto Santo Stefano
• The Fortezza Spaniola is the Spanish fortress that was built around the end of the 16th century. It’s very close to the port and it offers amazing views to the sea and the city.
• The Museo del Mare (Mare Museum) is housed in the Fortezza Spaniola. Some of the things you can see here are naval tools and instruments, ship parts and archaeological findings from the area’s sea bottom.
• The Acquario Mediterraneo dell’Argentario is an interesting Aquarium with 14 tanks inhabited by sea species from the Mediterranean Sea.
Beaches in Porto Santo Stefano
• If you are looking for a beach next to the port ,with clear waters, visit the Spiaggia La Cantoniera.
• The Bagni di Domiziano is also close to the port. It’s a secluded, sandy beach where the remains of a Roman mansion can be found.
• The Cala del Gesso is a public, rocky beach, 7 km from the port. It has turquoise waters and you can access it by sea or through a trail. At this beach you can visit the remains of a tower from the 16th century.
Activities in Porto Santo Stefano
• Diving at the many diving sites and shallow beaches. There are many diving schools, ideal for beginners.
• Have a stroll in Lungomare, the seaside boardwalk. Witness the local lifestyle and visit a restaurant for fresh seafood!
• If you are an experienced climber, go to the popular Capo d'Uomo, for amazing views.
Access to Porto Santo Stefano: You can reach the port by car, ferry, bus or plane. Grosseto’s airport is 50 km away and Rome’s 150 km.
You can get there if you catch the train to Ortobello and then a bus to Porto Santo Stefano. This journey takes about 3 hours. Driving from Santo Porto Stefano to Rome takes 2 hours.
Grosseto is 40 km away. Driving from Grosseto to Porto Santo Stefano takes 40 minutes. You can also take the train to Ortobello and then catch a bus to Porto Santo Stefano. This journey takes about 1,5 hours.
Only in Porto Santo Stefano: If you happen to be in Porto Santo Stefano on the second weekend of August, you will get the chance to experience the unique Palio Marinaro dell’ Argentario. It’s the city’s biggest event, which first took place in 1937. It’s a boat race with regattas, which are known as “gozzi”, and the participation of 4 teams. Each team has its own colours and represents the 4 regions of the city. The supporters hold colourful fireworks and flags of their preferred team, creating a spectacular vibe!